UC Davis Student Parent Child Care Funding Program

The WorkLife office, in coordination with Graduate Studies and the Financial Aid office, offers limited grants and loans to students with dependent children to assist with child care expenses.

Fall 2019/Winter 2020 Applications deadline has passed. 
Spring 2020 Applications are due by June 4, 2020


  1. Undergraduate Students
  2. Graduate Students
  3. Submitting Your Application
  4. More Information
  5. FAQs

1. I am an Undergraduate Student:

2. I am a Graduate/Professional Student:

**All above applications are fillable PDF forms.  If they do not load properly the first time, please close the document and try the link again.

3. Submit your applications as a PDF document:

  • For all applications, whether completed by hand or using the fillable form, once signed and dated by all parties, scan document as a PDF.
  1. Email the PDF as an attachment to worklife@ucdavis.edu 
  2. Fax the document to 530-752-4744
  3. Deliver the items to the Heitman Staff Learning Center (please leave with office receptionist.  WorkLife coordinator works a varied daily schedule and may not always be available for consult)

4. More Information:

  • Self Supporting Programs not eligible for GSCCG.
  • Applications are processed on a rolling basis.
  • Expect processing to take up to 8-12 weeks.
  • You must apply before or during the term for which you are requesting funds. 
  • Funds are deposited into your student account.  As these grants are provided by UC Davis, the funds will be absorbed into any debt you may have in your account.
  • To expedite the receipt of funds, please visit the Student Accounting webpage to set up direct deposit.
  • Grants are reportable income, you will need to access your 1098T from UC Davis when your award is posted.
  • Please Note: If receiving additional funding other than what is currently posted on your financial aid package, including but not limited to Departmental awards, Fellowships, Stipends, Research or Teaching Assistantships (RA/TA) these funds may affect the amount/eligibility of your Child Care Grant. To ensure accuracy and avoid additional billing remember to report these Additional Resources by logging into MyAwards.

5. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  • Is this a child credit?
  • No.  These funds are to be used to offset actual child care expenses only. These grants are intended to help with child care costs so a student-parent can pursue their education at UC Davis.  If you do not incur childcare costs, you are not eligible for this grant.  Also note, a childcare "provider" must be someone other than the child's parent.
  • Do I just apply for current term? 
  • We prefer that you apply for the entire year (July -June) in the Summer, if possible.  If not, we do allow applications by term. Just be sure to note your child care provider and the amount you have contracted for care for all terms.
  • What are defined as the terms?  
  • For students on the quarter system: Summer is July, Aug, Sept. Fall is October, November, December.  Winter is January, February, March. Spring is April, May, June. Please note that there is some generality to this as some months do not actually have classes all month.

    For students on the semester system:  Professional programs with usually no summer enrollment or ASE employment.  Fall is September, October, November, December. Spring is January, February, March, April, May. 
  • Can I receive funds for terms which have passed? 
  • No. You must apply before or during the term for which you are requesting funds. The last day we can accept applications is the last day of instruction, as noted on the official University calendar.
  • What about summer terms?  
  • Both grants are available for summer. Enrolled undergraduates must have a minimum of 6 credits for summer to qualify for CBCG. Graduate or Professional students must be enrolled full time (12 units) or employed as an Academic Student Employee (AI, Reader, TA, Community Teaching Fellow, Remedial Tutor/Tutor) or a GSR (at least 25% appointment). The Summer Candel Workshop, fellowships or outside internships are not considered employment for summer GSCCG.  
  • What is Filing Fee?
  • Filing Fee status is when a graduate student has completed all requirements for their degree except for filing the master’s thesis or doctoral dissertation. Students may be funded for one term (GSCCG only) on Filing Fee.  Students are technically not enrolled in coursework while on filing fee status.  Please contact the WorkLife office right away if you go on filing fee as we need to override the Financial Aid system to ensure funds.  
  • What is a Self-supporting Program and what does that mean for me?
  • A Self-supporting program is a graduate/professional program that does not pay into student fees so students in these programs are ineligible for GSCCG funds.  These students may be eligible for CBCG funds.  To apply, please submit  both the GSCCG application (as it contains pertinent information) along with their CBCG application indicating SSP status on the applications.  HERE is a list of SSPs.
  • My family is expecting a baby during the academic year. When can I apply for funds?
  • You must wait until the child is born to apply. If you have already applied/been approved for existing children, you can simply add the new child when needing childcare and will only need to supply the Child Care Provider information section for that addition.  Newborn care will be prorated from first full week after birth.
  • Adult/Parent 2 does not provide any support to my child.
  • Complete and sign the section on the application that indicates that Parent 2 does not financially contribute to the child(ren).
  • I'm applying for financial-need based funding and I have completed the FAFSA (or Dream Act Application) and Adult/Parent 2 is reflected in it (filed as married). Do I need to provide additional financial information?
  • No, as long as both parents are included in the FAFSA we do not need additional financial information. If Adult/Parent 2 is not reflected in the FAFSA or Dream Act we need their financial section completed.  Please provide a copy of your My Awards Page or your FAFSA or Dream Act report.
  • Is there a second parent work or school requirement for the financial-need based grant (CBCG)?
  • Beginning Fall 2020, to be eligible for the CBCG grant, the second parent/adult must either work at least part-time (20 hours per week) or attend an accredited university/college at least part-time (6 units).
  • I'm an international student. Am I eligible?
  • Undergraduate Students:  Please contact WorkLife at worklife@ucdavis.edu.

    Graduate/Professional Students: There are no differences in eligibility for GSCCG for international students. International students, who are not eligible to complete a FAFSA or Dream Act application are still eligible to apply for CBCG, but must complete an additional application specifically for International students.  In addition, they must provide a copy of their I-20 F-1 Visa, and if applicable, a recent US tax return, spousal J-2 Visa, and 6 month copies of all bank account statements. Additionally, International Students who have established funding for “Expenses of Dependents” as listed in their I-20, are not eligible, for those dependents, as they have established they have funding for dependents as part of their agreement. International students who have a present spouse who is ineligible to work in the United States, and/or not a UC Davis student, are not eligible for CBCG funds as the financial necessity of hiring outside child care is not established.  However, all students may petition for the grant if they fall into the ineligible category but meet certain other criteria.  Contact worklife@ucdavis.edu to learn more.