Your Health Care Facilitator Program specializes in troubleshooting the use of UC health plans—and coordinating them with Medicare
2023 UC health plans
Open Enrollment ended at 5 p.m. on Friday, 11/18/2022. Still, you can learn more about UC's medical plans—all year long—using the following resources:
How much? Premiums for 2023:
- Employee rates [PDF]
- Note: The UC Blue & Gold HMO rates on the UCnet website are NOT the rates for UC Davis and ANR employees.
- Retiree rates: 2023 UC Retiree Premium Estimator [Excel]
Where? Regional medical plan availability:
The 2023 UC Medical Plan Availability Tool [Excel] indicates plan availability by ZIP code and county.
Who? Local Davis/Sacramento medical provider availability by plan:
- More On UC Medical Plans [PDF]; lists all major local medical groups.
- UC Davis Medical Group is available through all non-Kaiser plans
- Anthem Blue Cross PPOs:
- Health Net: UC Blue & Gold HMO (Urban CA only.)
- Kaiser Permanente/Senior Advantage (HMO) (Urban CA only.)
- UnitedHealthcare: UC Medicare Choice (Medicare Advantage PPO)
Which? Compare medical plans side-by-side:
- Which medical plan is right for you? [PDF] (Employees & Retirees)
- Which Medicare plan is right for you? [PDF] (Retirees with Medicare)
How to get more information? UCnet health plan phone numbers and web addresses
- Anthem Blue Cross (non-Medicare) | Anthem Blue Cross (retirees with Medicare)
- Health Net
- Kaiser Permanente
- Optum behavioral health (Access Code: 11280) (Non-Medicare Kaiser members only.)
- UnitedHealthcare (Medicare retirees only)
- Via Benefits (Age 65+ Medicare-eligible retirees with home addresses outside California only; all covered family members must have Medicare.)
- Delta Dental
- Vision Service Plan for Active Employees
- Vision Service Plan for Retirees
Telemedicine as a COVID-19 precaution
Several UC medical plans offer coverage for over-the-phone or web-based virtual visits. Please consider taking advantage of them to reduce your exposure to COVID-19 by staying home.
More information: Coronavirus updates for UC employees
Additionally, all UC medical plans offer 24-hour nurse advice lines; see the back of your medical plan ID card for the phone number.
UC considers changes to retiree health contributions
A Retiree Health Benefits Working Group has been formed to provide input regarding reductions and/or changes in strategy toward UC's contributions to retiree health coverage. More information can be found on UCnet.
See the UC Davis Retiree Center site for updates on the Working Group.
UC simplifies retiree health benefits rules
To simplify administration and respond to the concerns of newer employees hired before 7/1/2013, UC changed the eligibility rules for retiree health benefits.
Did You Know?
Most of the medical plans that the university offers to employees and retirees cover 30-day supplies of prescription drugs for a flat copayment. However, if you take medications on an ongoing basis, you can save money by using University of California pharmacies. At UC pharmacies, you can get 90-day supplies of your drugs for two copayments — you pay 1/3 less!
If you are enrolled in some of the Anthem Blue Cross plans (UC Care, UC High Option, UC Medicare PPO); UC Blue & Gold HMO (Health Net) or UC Medicare Choice (UnitedHealthcare):
UC Davis outpatient pharmacies (in Davis and Sacramento).
Don't live near a UC pharmacy? You can get the same two co-payment deal for 90-day supplies through some plans at certain local retail pharmacies and/or through your plan's mail order pharmacy.
UC Blue & Gold HMO (Health Net): Local CVS pharmacies
UC Care (Anthem Blue Cross): Local Costco, CVS, Safeway/Vons, Walgreens, and Walmart pharmacies
UC High Option (Anthem Blue Cross): Local Costco, CVS, Safeway/Vons, Walgreens, and Walmart pharmacies
UC Medicare PPO (Anthem Blue Cross): Local Costco, CVS, Safeway/Vons, Walgreens, and Walmart pharmacies
UC Medicare Choice (UnitedHealthcare): Local Costco, CVS, Rite Aid, Safeway, Target, Walmart, and Walgreens pharmacies
Click here for medical plan contact information. Log on to your plan's website as a member to access links to their mail order pharmacy programs.