To better understand staff engagement and continuously improve the staff experience, we conducted the Staff Experience Survey on the Davis Campus in October.
Engaged staff are enthusiastic about their work and find greater meaning in what they do. They also have higher levels of commitment, contribute more to the campus community and are more likely to stay at UC Davis.
Key details about the survey:
- Survey ran from Oct. 12 – Oct. 31, 2020
- Included represented and policy-covered staff
- Excluded academic, temporary (TES) and student employees, and retirees..
- $1 for each survey completed was donated to Staff Emergency Fund, providing financial assistance to staff employees in times of personal hardship.
Full Survey Population
- Davis campus staff only (did not include Medical Center, SOM or SON staff)
- Career staff, limited and partial-year appts., per diem, contract employees
- Represented and policy-covered (non-represented) staff
- Probationary staff
- Staff on payroll after Sept. 10 were not invited this year
- Excluded academic, temporary (TES) and student employees, as well as retirees
The Staff Experience Survey is unlike any other at UC Davis.
|Staff Experience Survey||All staff Davis Campus||Annually (Oct.)||Actionable data provided to managers/supervisors|
|UC Davis Health Engagement Survey||All employees at Health||Pulse survey Oct. 12
|Actionable data provided to managers/supervisors|
|CUCSA Staff Engagement Survey||Sample of
staff at Davis Campus
|Bi-Annually (April/May)||Data presented in aggregate across all UC Davis|
|FOA Customer Satisfaction Survey||All employees served by FOA and some other administrative/research units.||Annually (Feb.)||Actionable data provided
People Science Behind the Survey:
- A Modern Approach to Measuring Engagement (PDF)
It's a lengthy read, but explains the reasons why this survey is so brief (hint: long surveys don't produce a good user experience) and why this survey produces reliable, actionable data.
- Propelling Action through Conversations (PDF)
Taking action after the survey is critical and this guide can supervisors address issues and make positive incremental changes.
We partnered with Glint to administer the survey and ensure confidentiality.