UC Davis Manager Toolkit
Managers and supervisors are critical to UC Davis. This toolkit provides resources for recruitment and selection. onboarding and ongoing performance management.
Recruitment and Selection Courses
It all begins with making a successful hire. Below are resources to prepare for a successful recruitment.
- UC Hiring for Success (e-learning)
- Employee Recruitment and Selection (Instructor-led, Davis campus)
- Employee Selection and Interviewing Techniques (Instructor-led, Sacramento campus)
- Employee Selection Review (Instructor-led; Sacramento campus)
- Intercultural Recruitment and Selection (Instructor-led, Davis campus)
Onboarding begins at the time of hire and ideally continues through the first year of employment. It enables you to bring newly-hired employees up to speed with the policies, processes, culture, expectations, and day-to-day responsibilities of your department.
- Onboarding Toolkit
- UC Davis Front Door (resources for new and prospective employees)
- New Employee Welcome
Performance management is an ongoing process; regular communication with your employees is key. The discussion guides below are tools that may help you frame your discussions.
- Conducting Feedback Discussions Manager Guide
- Career Planning Questionnaire Manager Guide
- IDP Review Checklist Manager Guide
Individual Development Plan (IDP) Instructions and Form
The IDP is a tool to help an employee organize and track professional development. IDPs provide a guide to align goals with specific knowledge, skills, or competencies.
UC Learning Center (a.k.a. LMS)
The UC Learning Center, is the Learning Management System (LMS) for University of California employees. At UC Davis it contains thousands of classroom-based and e-learning courses as well as other resources. Managers can use the LMS to assign training to their employees, monitor training assignment status, vew transcripts, identify recommended trainings for employee development and more. The guides below offer instructions for using the LMS for your own training (Learner Guide) and for managing the training of your employees (Manager Guide).
Performance Management Courses
There are many resources available to learn more about performance management. The list below is a sampling of key instructor-led classes and e-learning.
- Communicating Goals and Expectations (Instructor-led, Davis and Sacramento campuses)
- Coaching for Performance and Development (Instructor-led, Davis and Sacramento campuses)
- Conducting Employee Performance Appraisals (Instructor-led, Davis and Sacramento campuses)
- Employee Development from a Manager's Perspective (Instructor-led, Davis campus)
- UC Setting Expectations and Individual Performance Goals (e-learning)
- UC Giving and Receiving Feedback (e-learning)
- UC Engaging and Developing Employees (e-learning)
- UC Conducting Performance Appraisals (e-learning)
- UC Motivating, Recognizing and Rewarding Employees (e-learning)
- UC Coaching for Performance and Development (e-learning)