Leaders model the way. Leaders have strong beliefs about matters of principle. To be able to clearly articulate their beliefs, leaders find their voice by clarifying personal values. But clarity is not enough. To be credible, leaders do what they say they will do. They set the example by aligning actions with shared values.
Leaders inspire a shared vision. They look across the horizon of time and envision an ennobling and uplifting future. Leaders are positive, they bring the future to life, and they enlist others in a common cause.
Leaders challenge the process. They are pioneers, willing to step out and change the way things are. They experiment and take risks and learn from the accompanying mistakes.
Leaders enable others to act.They know they cannot do it alone, so they foster collaboration and strengthen others. By actively involving people in planning and decision-making, and through daily acts of trust and respect, leaders increase the competence and confidence of their constituents.
Leaders encourage the heart.They recognize contributions by showing appreciation for individual excellence. They celebrate the values and victories by creating a spirit of community.
During the program, participants will:
- Identify their own leadership strengths and areas for improvement
- Apply the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership® to a current business challenge.
The UC Davis Leadership Challenge Development Program includes:
- A Leadership Practices Inventory (LPI) 360° prior to the program. The LPI is a behavioral-based 360 degree survey instrument which collects data on the frequency with which one exhibits 30 leadership behaviors. These leadership behaviors have emerged from research by Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner and form the core of leadership skills development.
- Two-day leadership development program at UC Davis
- Materials, including the Leadership Challenge book by Kouzes and Posner, workshop handouts, a Leadership Learning Journal and Leadership Challenge Values Cards
If you are a manager or supervisor at UC Davis and are interested in participating in the UC Davis Leadership Challenge, we encourage you to register soon. Space is limited and there is no fee to participate; UC Davis Human Resources Talent Management covers all program costs. Choose from one of the four dates in 2017:
- March 21-22 (Sacramento)
- April 27-28 (Davis)
- July 11-12 (Sacramento)
- October 10-11 (Davis)
All sessions will be 8:30-4:30 and will include lunch. Participants are required to attend both days.
Questions? Contact Staff Development and Professional Services at email@example.com or 530-752-1766.